[Ncr-Python.in] Hack4change as a part of 16 days of activism

Noopur noopur.raval at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 08:34:28 CET 2013

Dear all,

*Breakthrough*, a global human rights organisation that runs campaigns such
as Bell Bajao (Ring the Bell), is organising a Wikipedia edit-a-thon for
creating and expanding articles on violence against women on Sunday,
December 8, 2013 at Delhi.

Deets: http://hack4changedelhi.wordpress.com/

I am writing to you to share more about the hackathon that we at
Breakthrough are planning to organise a hackathon on the theme of violence
against women.

We'll be calling people from various backgrounds including journalists,
developers, researchers, storytellers, activists and other members of civil
society to take part in this event. Participants will be divided into
different groups and they'll work on different projects. We encourage
remote participation as a mark of solidarity and an effort to expand the
movement!

Along with data visualisations, we also are planning a Wikipedia
edit-a-thon.

I will be leading the Wikipedia edit-a-thon. Here's the Idea behind this
session:

A crucial problem with several Wikipedia articles on sexual violence
incidents (especially in the Indian context) is that often there are no
articles (or articles have been deleted) and also articles that match
encyclopedic standards but fail to articulate the politics of writing about
sexual violence itself. These articles may also not use vocabulary that
represents rape survivors without victimizing them. This session proposes
to make the act of editing Wikipedia a political one, therefore reclaiming
it as a tool to fight violence, slut shaming and gender stereotyping.

There is also a hackathon running parallel where we hope to build tools or
customize them in the direction of women's safety!

Hope you will join us in it :)

Best,
Noopur

--