[Ncr-Python.in] [OT ] Data.gov.in Hackathon

Gora Mohanty gora at mimirtech.com
Fri Mar 22 17:02:16 CET 2013

On 22 March 2013 20:36, Amit Sethi <amit.pureenergy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Gora Mohanty <gora at mimirtech.com> wrote:
>> On 22 March 2013 19:18, satyaakam goswami <satyaakam at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>      data.gov.in has announced Hackathon on 6th and 7th April.
>>> http://data.gov.in/hackathon
>>
>> TIL, data.gov.in cannot seem to afford a valid security certificate.
> I don't think you saw the redirects this url went through I guess

Admittedly, I was being snarky. However, it was not I that set up
the site in this broken manner.

> But anyways. Why should this require security certificate anyway.
> To illustrate I do not see the uk government's data site using ssl
> http://data.gov.uk

(a) Westerners are not absolute arbiters of correct practice
(b) In this day, and age, I would argue that HTTPS, and HSTS
     should be available, and probably the default, for any serious
     site like data.gov.in
(c) Even if one argues that a security certificate is not required, a
     broken one, however, definitely leaves an impression of how
     much attention people running the site pay to basic web requirements

Regards,
Gora