[Moin-user] MoinMoin Development Activity

John Hurst ajhurst at me.com
Wed Mar 23 21:06:27 EDT 2016

These are very relevant questions from my perspective.  I have been running a moin 1.9 site for 6 years or so, and having been promising people who comment on its weaker points that "Moin 2 is coming soon".  But I am starting to lose that argument, and there are those who suggest that moving to a more modern wiki would be advantageous.

I have explored how I might help the development of moin 1/2 flavours, but found that I tended to get rather frustrated when I went looking for documentation.  For example, I have had trouble in maintaining various home grown flavours of macros, but short of spending my waking hours reverse engineering code, found it difficult to make much progress (yes, what are the entities in a "request"?).

As a (now retired) academic, I spent years exhorting students to document their code, and trying to set a good example for them to follow (http://www.ajhurst.org/~ajh/teaching/fit2070/2014/labs/index.xml).  And I understand that the moin development is by volunteers, who receive little thanks and many complaints.  But if we can spread the load by encouraging others to join the development, then I would hope emails such as these would no longer be necessary.

So can anyone help me to help you?  Where to I find the sort of documentation that would help a newbie to the inner workings of moin become more engaged?

cheers,
--John Hurst