[Moin-user] Wiki server ignoring ACLs *followup*

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Mar 15 11:13:11 EDT 2016

On Tuesday 15. March 2016 16.03.52 Chris Freemesser wrote:
> On 3/14/16 4:33 PM, Paul Boddie wrote:
> > I often find file ownership to be a significant problem when performing
> > maintenance tasks, assuming that the maintenance command actually
> > functions correctly. I therefore find myself running some of these
> > commands using sudo like this...
> >
> > sudo -u www-data moin ...
>
> Good idea...I hadn't thought of that. I'll give that a try tomorrow when I
> re-migrate my instances to the new server.

What I have also experimented with is the use of POSIX ACLs when initialising
wiki installations. However, this can be pretty confusing, and the Web server
will happily set the ownership of new files and directories to whatever it is
running under, anyway.

I guess some use of the sticky bits (and equivalent with ACLs) might be
helpful in preserving permissions, and I suppose that is worth some
investigation, too.

Paul