[Moin-user] moin 1.9 subscriptions / notifications updates, testing needed!

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Sat Mar 1 10:51:01 EST 2014

Just a small update about the recent commits to the 1.9 repo:

There were major changes about how some things (internally) work and it
would be great if some people test them before the next release (1.9.8)
happens.

You can get the current code from the repository, the code is also
running now on the http://moinmo.in/ wiki.

a) subscriber determination with better scalability

When you save a page, moin has to determine which users have subscribed
to the page (to receive change notifications). This used to be rather
slow as moin opened all the user profiles to look which users are
subscribed to this page.

There was a patch for this on the wiki since quite a while (thanks to
everybody who has contributed to that). But, the patch had some issues
and needed more testing before it could go into moin.

You can see it there + in the following changesets after that:

http://hg.moinmo.in/moin/1.9/rev/54dc774ff49b

While working on that, other issues were discovered and fixed, code was
refactored / cleaned up. Some stuff is faster now. :)

I did some tests with 10000 user profiles and it worked much faster than
before.

b) email notifications

The (template) strings used for these are configurable now (the builtin
defaults for them stayed the same so we don't lose the existing
translations).

Docs / Examples:

http://hg.moinmo.in/moin/1.9/file/a3900f360ad0/docs/CHANGES#l82

While working on that, I also fixed the (non-working) notifications for
page deletion / rename, attachment added / removed.

If you find any issues or have other feedback, use IRC or the mailing
list or file bugs on the wiki.