[Moin-user] Google Chrome inserting non breaking space at front of line

Dave Clements clements at galaxyproject.org
Wed Nov 13 13:43:58 EST 2013

Hello all,

I've noticed an odd behavior when editing pages (as text, not with the GUI
editor) with Google Chrome.  If I have a newline followed by a line that
starts with a single space, for example

 * List item

Google Chrome converts that leading space to a non-breaking space.  This
breaks a couple of things, including dictionary definitions

 Name:: Description

Firefox does not do this, but leaves the leading space as a space.

An od command run against a Chrome-edited page:

0000060   p   l   o   y   m   e   n   t  \r  \n  *\r  \n* *302 240*   O   r
           6c70    796f    656d    746e    0a0d  *  0a0d    a0c2*    724f

And an od command on a Firefox edited page:

0000060   l   o   y   m   e   n   t  *\r  \n    *   O   r   g   a   n   i
           6f6c    6d79    6e65    *0d*74    *200a *   724f    6167    696e

What I would really like to have happen, is that whenever a wiki page is
saved, any non-breaking space characters at the front of lines get
automatically replaced with plain old spaces.

Is there a recommended way to do this?

Thanks,

Dave C.

--