[Moin-user] Diagnose and fix performance problems?

Christopher MacMinn cmac at mit.edu
Thu May 3 09:40:40 EDT 2012

>> > Did you use apache/mod-wsgi or cgi? cgi is slow.
>>
>> Our servers do not offer mod_wsgi, so I think we're currently using
>> some sort of WSGI<--> Fast CGI wrapper. Could this be a major cause of
>> the problems?
>
> Well, I can't tell much about the layers below moin (esp. not for
> software I do not use myself), but in principle, fastcgi should be of
> almost same performance as mod-wsgi. […]
>
> FastCGI as well as mod-wsgi means long-running processes which are only
> rarely terminated and restarted and thus is much faster and less
> overhead.

I guess FastCGI is supposed to be a long-running process in principle;
however, I just learned from the folks who administer the servers that
our FastCGI processes are automatically terminated after 15 minutes of
inactivity and must be relaunched upon the next visit after that. This
is definitely one cause of the sluggishness, so we may need to look
elsewhere for hosting. I'll keep digging to see if there's anything
else strange going on.

Thanks again!
Best, Chris