[Moin-user] Diagnose and fix performance problems?

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Wed May 2 18:15:31 EDT 2012

> > Did you use apache/mod-wsgi or cgi? cgi is slow.
>
> Our servers do not offer mod_wsgi, so I think we're currently using
> some sort of WSGI<--> Fast CGI wrapper. Could this be a major cause of
> the problems?

Well, I can't tell much about the layers below moin (esp. not for
software I do not use myself), but in principle, fastcgi should be of
almost same performance as mod-wsgi. A little more software (likely
flup) in between moin and web server, but still fast.

Plain CGI (not fastcgi) means loading and initializing all the code for
each request and terminating after that one request is processed.

FastCGI as well as mod-wsgi means long-running processes which are only
rarely terminated and restarted and thus is much faster and less
overhead.