[Moin-user] integrated authentication (Moin, Bugzilla, Gitosis, etc)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Feb 24 17:34:59 EST 2012

On Friday 24 February 2012 21:22:37 Daniel Pocock wrote:

> Could ACLs and everything else in Moin use the email address in place of
> the name value?  Or could the email address be safely used in the name
> field?

On one Moin deployment, I use each user's e-mail address as their username. If
this doesn't work with ACLs for some reason, I'd be interested in making a
patch that makes it work.

[...]

> You save the best bit for last: letting the user log in with the email
> address would make it work just like Bugzilla and Mailman

Having to use an e-mail address as a username is something of a limitation
with Bugzilla, which I also use together with Wiki installations, but you can
certainly adopt that scheme with Moin, too. In effect, you can delegate the
authentication to Apache, use GivenAuth to access the REMOTE_USER details (as
Thomas pointed out), and then you're mostly avoiding any registration process
within Moin.

Paul