[Moin-user] How to import existing Moin content into new Moin server?

andy thomas andy at time-domain.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 00:56:25 EDT 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, Reimar Bauer wrote:

> On 20.10.2010 06:25, andy thomas wrote:

>>> Do you have created a new wiki instance? You are speaking from moving
>>> into ../data/pages. Is it the correct instance? What you have got looks
>>> like an archieve of the old instance.
>>> Do you have a meta file in the data dir of the archieve. What is its
>>> content?
>>
>> I have now got full access to the old instance on the other server and the
>> meta file says:
>>
>>  	data_format_revision: 01070000
>>
>> I have replaced the meta file in my new instance (which reads
>> data_format_revision: 1090200) with the old one but the pages I have added
>> from the old instance archive still don't appear.
>
> This is likly because you look at the wrong instance for the pages.
> Assuming you have setup the moin-1.9.3 wiki instance by using wsgi
> then you point to your wikiconfig file by a sys.path entry similiar to
> http://hg.moinmo.in/moin/1.9/file/422feb8d48ac/wiki/server/moin.wsgi#l32
> The wikiconfig in that dir should look similiar to
> http://hg.moinmo.in/moin/1.9/file/422feb8d48ac/wiki/config/wikiconfig.py
>
> The instance / data dir you access by the wiki is shown in the logs and
> in SystemInfo. Check if it is a different one than the one you copied
> the files to. (To see this full details your username must be setup as
> superuser)
>

>> To be honest, I have never used MoinMoin as a user before so I have no
>> idea how to access content under ../data.pages from the Wiki. However, I
>> now have root access to the server hosting the old instance and I have
>> been given some Wiki login usernames and passwords which don't work (and
>> the original Wiki superuser password has been lost). Is there a file in
>> the old MoinMoin installation that I could edit and reset the user and
>> superuser passwords?
>
> You can reset a password of a user from the commandline
> see HelpOnMoinCommand moin ... account resetpw
> The superuser is defined in wikiconfig.py it is a list of names. Any
> username listed there is the superuser. (You can create a new user name
> and add it there)

Thanks for this info - I didn't know about the moin command line utilities
before but I was able to get everything fixed on the old wiki server once
I had reset the superuser password and reset some of the user passwords as
well, as all of this information was lost when the previous sysadmin left
the company.

>> I've also noticed my ../underlay/pages on the new instance has very little
>> in it (just BadContent and LanguageSetup) compared with the old instance -
>> would it be OK to copy all the folders starting with 'HelpOn...' from the
>> old instance to the new one?
>
> No
>
> just read LanguageSetup and install all page packs you want.

I've done this and that's now working fine, thanks.

>>> If the content of the old instance is dependent to an older moin version
>>> you need to migrate it. See docs/README_FIRST
>>
>> I had a look at this and also at all the migration scripts under
>> ../MoinMoin/script/migration but the data format of the 1.7.0 data files
>> from the old instance looks identical to that for 1.9.2? Or am I missing
>> somthing very important here?
>
> You didn't looked in all scripts.
> 1.9.3 is the recent version. And yes run the script. It has not that
> much to do as between 1.5 and 1.6 but it has to do some changes. e.g.
> for drewings.

I will try this today. Thanks for all your help.

cheers, Andy