[Moin-user] moin 1.9 documentation

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Fri Mar 6 08:08:12 EST 2009

> However, there is one big flaw: Documentation!

We know.

IMHO it was due to different reasons:
 * we tried to teach people web server configuration / administration
(apache, iis, lighttpd, ...) - this is simply too much and out of our
scope for official documentation of MoinMoin.
 * we tried to teach people server administration (by giving
line-by-line Linux or Windows commands) - this is also out of our scope,
see above.
 * we tried to support many different requests methods directly in moin.
this is also too much for a rather small development team - we couldn't
test all that and it was a pain to support. this is superceded by WSGI
in moin 1.9 and we'll get rid of everything beyond WSGI, it won't be our
business any more with moin 1.9, stuff like fastcgi, cgi, scgi, etc. is
done by flup middleware (which is not our code and has own docs).

Therefore, for moin 1.9 I killed about all old install docs and started
some different approach:

We have ONE super-easy and super-fast install method for people not
experienced with server stuff: Download, unpack, run, be done! There is
a slightly more verbose, but still rather short documentation for this
for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.

We describe how moin is usable as a WSGI application for server admins,
python geeks and that kind of folk. For them, we ONLY describe moin (up
to the WSGI interface), not Linux, not Windows, not Mac OS X, not misc.
web servers (they should know already or get that knowledge at some
other place).

We have some links where you can find out more about (interfacing to)
WSGI applications.

See: http://master19.moinmo.in/InstallDocs (this is the complete thing,
it includes the different sections from subpages).

If someone wants to write more detailled docs about something, it will
be on the moinmo.in wiki site, maybe linked from http://moinmo.in/HowTo,
but not be part of the official documentation.