[Moin-user] Wiki for document management

Franklin PIAT fpiat at klabs.be
Sun Oct 5 04:50:16 EDT 2008

Hello Greg,

Here are some ideas for your problem:

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 14:04 -0400, Greg Ward wrote:
> We are a small-but-growing software company that needs a good way to
> manage our software documentation (requirements, specs, designs, etc.).

> Let me clarify this last one.  E.g. for a single new feature, we will
> typically create four wiki pages:
>
>   NewFeature/BusinessRequirementsSpecification
>   NewFeature/SoftwareRequirementsSpecification
>   NewFeature/SoftwareDesignSpecification
>   NewFeature/DevelopmentTestPlan
>
> There are various operations we would like to be able to do on the whole
> group, but the critical one is the ability to link to (or print, or
> download, whatever) a specific version of the complete documentation for
> NewFeature.

Have you tried using [[Include()]], to include common section,  or
Dictionaries to replace variables ?
Also, you could have a page, that [[Include]] the four sub pages.

When I need to edit multiple related pages, I usually open multiple tabs
in my browser (the drawback is that you only have one MoinEditorBackup).

> The problem is that MoinMoin versions individual pages and, as far as I
> can tell, there is no way to address a common snapshot of old versions.
> It's kind of like CVS without tags.
>
> Oh yeah, another disadvantage:
>
>   * no concept of review/approval -- this ties in with versioning, since
>     the whole point is to say, "Tom and Dick approved v3, so that is the
>     gold standard we will use -- the docs for NewFeature are frozen at
>     v3".
>
> This one is a bit unfair: it's really not something I would expect a
> wiki to have.  If we end up settling on a wiki as the answer (whether
> it's MoinMoin or not), I imagine we'll have to cobble something together
> for tracking reviews and approvals.

If the tags where implemented, you could use a tag to mark the last
Review/approved version.
Meanwhile, you can have a page where you keep links to the last approved
versions.

Hope this helps,

Franklin