[Moin-user] Automatically create links

Robert Spencer roach.list at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 05:14:35 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Thomas Waldmann <tw-public at gmx.de> wrote:
>> I working on wikifying the Linux Document Projects doc's.
>
> Cool. :) linuxwiki.de also runs moin.

Nice. Unfortunately I understand very little German, I saw that the
logo was linuxwiki.org and hoped that there was an english site too,
but linuxwiki.org just redirects to linuxwiki.de.

>> I've run into a number of problems,
>
> The biggest one seems to be spam.
>
> I suggest you try moin 1.6.3 or 1.7.0 because it will likely keep the
> spam away if you use textchas.

Finding were textchas are enabled is still on my to do list, as well
as PDF and plain text output and DocBook > moin > DocBook, the
priority is to get content into wiki first though. I'm busy writing a
script for that, unfortunately moin markup does not work well with our
content.

<tt></tt> is the main one that there is problems with, a short term
solution is just to remove any such markup (the authors abuse it
anyway and there is no standard).

I also had a hard time doing the Vim HOWTO, as moin thinks Vim
commands are markup. I wish there was a way to escape character
without changing there rendering, like ~ or ! for links.

> I have seen you use Python 2.3 still - moin SHOULD be still compatible
> to this old python version, but better try with a test setup as many of
> the moin developers don't even have py2.3 installed.

Server should be replaced this week, hopefully that will also upgrade python.

>> but the one I'm trying to sort out
>> here is how to get existing docs automatically linked, even if there
>> is no explicit link in the doc.
>
> Well, for a collection of documents, maybe just use TitleIndex?
>
> You could also put category tags onto the pages and search for the
> categories to autogenerate some categorized list.

Thank you for that, but some of the content that will be added can not
be changed due to licence problems and will have an attached comment
page. If there is a mention of the "Linux Cluster HOWTO" in the
document, it would be nice if that just linked automatically. I would
also like to add small pages for Perl, sudo, apt, yum, etc. and have
them show up as links in whatever text gets added.

CameCase is not really a solution as sometimes it doesn't make sense, e.g.:

- In Ubuntu you can type `sudo su`, this will allow you to do all
further actions as root.

I would like sudo to and su to be linked, SuDo would be plainly wrong
and if the novice tried to type in, it would not work. su is too short
and what about, vi, ls, ps, ...

>> BTW, while I'm thinking of linking, if someone can please point me in
>> the right direction in regards to getting underscore links back in the
>> most recent MoinMoin - I'd appreciate it.
>
> I am not sure what you mean with underscore links.
>
> In case you mean moin magically changing spaces to underscores when
> generating URLs, that won't ever come back (we only had troubles with it
> and we would have even more trouble soon, when unifying attachments and
> pages to mimetype items).
>
> For moin >=1.6, it is simple:
>  * If you want underscores in a page URL, use a page name with underscores.
>  * If you want blanks (%20), use a page name with blanks.

On the desktop version of MoinMoin that I'm experimenting with, there
is no %20 in links, just white space. White space in links make me
cringe, it is just not right and will make other things break so you
have to quote all links.

> BTW, you maybe want a theme that is less emphasizing the page name (wiki
> nav).

Theme does need changing, yes.

> E.g. the Linux Cluster HOWTO page looks like this:
>
> Linux Cluster HOWTO      <- page name (wiki nav)
>
> Linux Cluster HOWTO      <- h1 (content)
>
> What you maybe want is a rather small or separate display of the wiki
> nav and prominently show the content h1.
>
> That will also solve your underscore problem, btw.
>
> Just name the page LinuxClusterHowTo or Linux_Cluster_HOWTO or ... (to
> have URLs without %20).
>
> And keep the h1 as it is.
>
> The page name in wiki nav has to be considered like a file name (you
> won't print resume.doc in big letters above your resume, right?), but it
> will just show the content (and maybe the filename in a rather small
> font somewhere).

Okay, thanks. I understand the reason for removing _, it just happened
to be a bit convenient in our specific case, but making the page name
less conspicuous is the right solution.

--
Robert Spencer