[Moin-user] Why oh why!

Greg Noel GregNoel at tigris.org
Wed Dec 10 18:29:12 EST 2008

Let me give you my take on this.

On Dec 10, 2008, at 2:54 AM, Thomas Waldmann wrote:

> We provide documentation and expect that people read them ... docs/
> CHANGES contains docs about every noteworthy change we do, ...

Aye, there's the rub.  Buried in the blizzard of literally a thousand
that's-nice-but-I-don't-give-a-damn enhancements that require no
action on my part are a couple of lines of do-this-or-your-upgrade-
will-fail action.  Before I upgraded, I read the docs.  When I had
problems, I read the docs again, did Google searches, the whole nine
yards.  I still had to ask on the mailing list.

Yes, the information is there in docs/CHANGES, but part of _your_ job
in preparing an upgrade is to highlight the information I absolutely
must know in order to succeed.  You didn't do that, and people are
rightfully complaining.

My experience with the upgrade was bad enough that I've resisted doing
any more upgrades.  You say you've done better, but you still have a
huge file of piddly detail that you expect every one of us to plow
through for the one or two points where we must actually do
something.  And even then there's not a lot of help.  It's not enough
to know that the, say, authentication API has changed, there needs to
be some guidance how my code has to change, more than just "look in
the new files."

 From what I've seen on the mailing list, many of your users are not
accomplished Python programmers; some of them can't even program.  And
most of us just don't have the time to dig through the source code to
figure out what to do.  You have to cater to us by providing clear,
explicit, _complete_ documentation about how to upgrade, or we'll look
elsewhere for someone who makes it easier.

Hope this helps,
-- Greg Noel, retired UNIX guru