[Moin-user] captcha system for moin?

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Wed Sep 26 02:56:37 EDT 2007

> Yeh, any help on this one would be great.  The spam bots are getting
> through all the counter measures in place right now,

Maybe check if the counter measures really work, e.g. if the BadContent
page gets regularly its automatic updates from MoinMaster.

Also, if you encounter spam, add the patterns to MoinMaster:BadContent.

> and if there isn't
> a work around I'll have to dump moin for something else, as I really
> can't be deleting spam every morning.

Well, some notes about that:
 * if you run a wiki that is r/w for anybody, you will have to live with
some amount of spam
 * if you have some community of users on your wiki, the other users can
help you fighting the spammers (maybe tell them to do and show how to
use revert action)
 * for superusers, there is despam action for mass reverting
 * if you just run the wiki for personal use or a very small number of
people, you can configure your ACLs so that only some you or some
EditorGroup can write to pages on your wiki (this will immediately stop
all spam, but also all contributions from all other "unknown" users)
 * captchas can be a real annoyance for your users, especially for users
with limited vision
 * we have plans for improving user registration and anti-spam measures,
but there is also lots of other stuff to do.