[Moin-user] 1.5.1 NFS safe?

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Thu Feb 2 04:57:17 EST 2006

>> My hope is that moinmoin does nfs safe write locking of its data files
>> since they'll be shared between the load balanced servers that way.

I wouldn't recommend running moin over NFS for performance reasons
(except if your NFS stuff is as fast as a usual local disk :)).

Locking is a good question. :)

If we lock at all, we use some platform independant code supporting
win32 and posix. See MoinMoin/util/lock.py for example. It is based on
directory creation (and failure of that if there is already one with
that name) and should work on all platforms.

Some places still miss locking completely, but for usual use patterns,
this is rarely a problem.

Some places use own "locking" code (also base on usual filesystem
operations) that rarely has problems.

BTW: I added some locking calls to the cache subsystem after 1.5.1 release.