[Moin-user] making a semi-public wiki

Eduardo Mercovich eduardo.mercovich at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 15:06:08 EST 2006

Hello Marcus.

[...]
> Suppose you have a wiki which contains private data (e.g., a company wiki
> for developers-only), but you would like some pages to be public (e.g., the
> latest bug fixes, releases, etc.). You can accomplish this using ACL. [...]

Following your words, I would do it differentely.
Default ACL could be:
 * DevelopersGroup:read,write,revert,admin,rename
 * All: none

The pages that you want to expose could have a special ACL:
 * DevelopersGroup:read,write,revert,admin,rename
 * All: read

In this case, you must make a change from the default when you want to
publish something and this will improve the odds of not publish what
you don't want to.

However, care must be taken in order not to show links that go to
unpublished pages: it can be hard on users to send them to some place
only to banish them on it's door.

A different approach would be to make 2 wikis in a wikifarm (like
moinmoin and moinmaster).

In this way, some work can be duplicated, but each one will be safer
and more adapted to it's targeted users.

Just my half cent. :-)

Regards...

--
Eduardo Mercovich