[Moin-user] Re: Re: disable http in moinmoin(no access to apache) (Dean Hiller)

Nir Soffer nirs at freeshell.org
Tue Feb 1 02:15:47 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 17:13 -0800,
moin-user-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> interesting...this may be close...here is my setup
> /home/dean/moinmoin - install of moinmoin
> /home/dean/cgi-bin/moin.cgi - the cgi script
> /home/dean/public_html/xwiki/ - my instance of moinmoin
>
> Now, with this setup, I had to use an absolute URL for
> url_prefix=https://pro5.abac.com/deanhiller/xwiki/htdocs

Stop!

Do not put your wiki in your public_html directory! Please read (again?)
this page:
http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnInstalling/WikiInstanceCreation

Read carfully the "Security warnings" in the bold red type with the
warning icons.

Now put your wiki in /home/dean/wiki/ - the web server should not server
anything from this directory, only moin.cgi.

About url_prefix - set it to '/~dean/wiki', and in your apache
configuration file, set an alias:

    Alias /~dean/wiki/ /home/dean/share/moin/htdocs/

Let me explain how this work: All the static files in moin, like images
and css files are served by the web server, not by moin. How the web
server know what to serve? If you will look in to the source of the html
page, you can see that every image or css url starts with the '/wiki',
e.g /~dean/wiki/modern/img/moin-foo.png. The alias you set before
redirect such link
to /home/dean/share/moin/htdocs/wiki/modern/img/moin-foo.png, which is
served by Apache much faster then moin can.

--
Best Regards,

Nir Soffer.