[Moin-user] Third way to escape WikiName?

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 22:07:02 EST 2005

On 12/29/05, Rupert Li <rupert at amit.com.tw> wrote:
> In MoinMaster:WikiName, there are two methods to escape a WikiName: six
> single quotes and two backticks.
> I notice that !WikiName is also working and simpler. Is it a '''valid'''
> third way to escape a WikiName?
> Should we write down this method on WikiName page?

The !WikiName syntax is also what's used in ZWiki (which I use a good
bit at work); I find it substantially better than the others.  Those
always feel more like historical accidents than anything.  The
HelpOnLinking page mentions the !WikiName and Wiki``Name syntax
options, with the caveat that the bang_meta option must be enabled for
!WikiName.  I thought there was discussion of always enabling that, or
at least enabling it by default, but I'm not sure of the status of
that in 1.5.

I expect that !WikiName is better than the methods that insert
characters in the middle because it interferes less with searching.  I
haven't tested that out, though.

My opinion might not be very relevant, however, since most of my
writing in MoinMoin wikis is done in reStructuredText.  :-)

  -Fred

"There is no wealth but life." --John Ruskin