[Moin-user] Re: Upgrading from 1.2 -> 1.3 (M.-A. Lemburg)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Apr 22 14:15:22 EDT 2005

Nir Soffer wrote:
>> Now that you've released 1.3, I'd like to upgrade
>> to the new release, but I am rather surprised by the upgrade
>> path you provide in the README.migration esp. since the comments
>> in the various migration scripts don't really give me a warm
>> fuzzy feeling that the upgrade is working properly...
>>
>> Isn't there a way to upgrade smoothly from 1.2 without
>> introducing bugs, wrong timestamps, wrong revno increments,
>> etc. in between which then have to get fixed in later steps
>> of the process ?
>

> The upgrade do work as you can see in many big wikis around. For a warm
> fuzzy feeling, its not recommended to read those upgrade scripts though
> :-).

Ok, I won't :-)

> Those scripts used in the development process to move from dev version 1
> to 2, 2 to 3 etc. Some of the scripts had errors, which had to be fixed
> in later scripts. Some of the errors could not be avoided because of
> limitations of the data saved in 1.2.
>
> It was nice to have one script that read 1.2 format wiki, and write 1.3
> format wiki, but unfortunately nobody wrote such script.

Hmm, in that case, I guess the following script (untested) would
at least reduce the 12 step process to one script call:

migrate.py:

#!/usr/bin/env python
""" Migrate from MoinMoin 1.2 to 1.3.
"""
import os
for i in range(1, 12):
     script = '12_to_13_mig%02i.py' % i
     execfile(script)
     os.rmdir('data.pre-mig%i')

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 22 2005)