[Moin-user] Questions on the capabilities of Moin ACLs

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 4 20:10:42 EDT 2004

My wiki is currently still just a sparkle in my eye and I'm shopping around
to find the right wiki engine to build it upon. It's going to be a site for
amateur authors to post works of fiction, discuss them, write collaborative
stories and articles, create indexes, etc., and I'd like to have a slightly
peculiar feature that just might be possible for MoinMoin ACLs to handle.
Ideally, I'd like to give each user his own personal subspace that is
editable only by him, to allow him to post his own personal stories without
having to worry about monitoring them for vandalism and such.

For example, if I were to sign on to the wiki with the username Bryan, then
the following pages should be editable only by myself (and admins):

Bryan
Bryan/Richard III
Bryan/Richard III/Act 6
etc.

In the case of another person with the username Joe, I should be unable to
edit his Joe/ subspace and he shouldn't be able to edit Bryan/.

I've given http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnAccessControlLists a
read-through and it looks like there are some wonderfully fine-grained
controls, but I don't see any way to apply different default ACLs to pages
based on their title. This is my most ambitious approach to the problem,
though, so if it's impossible I've got a fallback I'd be fine with. Can I
set up an ACL so that a non-admin user can set his own ACL on a _new_ page,
but not on one that already exists? That way authors would still be able to
"claim" pages to put their stories on, but wouldn't allow them to override
each other's ACLs or lock people out of existing public pages (I expect
them to be well-behaved but it only takes one bad apple to make a mess :).
I can even make a guess at how to do this:

acl_rights_default = "AuthorGroup:read,write"
acl_rights_after = "AuthorGroup:admin,read,write"

Am I right in believing that on pages that don't exist yet only
acl_rights_after applies, and as soon as they're created (and assuming the
new page wasn't given an ACL of its own by the page creator)
acl_rights_default comes into effect too? If I'm understanding this right,
this would result in "default" AuthorGroup rights overriding "after"
AuthorGroup rights only on pages that already exist, not on newly-created ones.