[Moin-user] run MoinMoin with Python server?

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Wed Jul 31 18:18:03 EDT 2002

I'm trying to get MoinMoin working with a minimal Python server based on the
HTTPServer and CGIHTTPRequestHandler in the Python Standard Libraries. I was
able to get MoinMoin running with a minimal variation of the install
instructions and I can post those instructions here if there is interest. I
ended up putting moin.cgi and moin_config.py in a /cgi-bin directory, the
data is in a c:\moin\data directory and the images and css are in a /wiki
directory at the html (htdocs) root of the server.

The problem I've run into is that even though I can do GETs and POSTs with
MoinMoin, some kind of failure occurs after the POST, so that while data
from an edit appears to be accepted, there is a redirect or something that
is failing as part of the request. I've attached a copy/paste from the
console (sorry about the wrapping) showing the error output on my box when I
click the "Save Changes" button during an edit

http://localhost/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/FrontPage?action=edit

This could be related to some other bugs that have been reported with Python
socket handling and Internet Explorer 5.x, but I don't know MoinMoin well
enough at this point to know what to look for. What I have now is
essentially a read-only MoinMoin, which isn't particularly useful, so I'm
looking for a fix.

I'm wondering whether anyone has gotten MoinMoin working correctly on a
Windows system using just the Python standard libs for the web server? If
so, how about on Windows, specifically Windows 2000? I really don't want to
have to install IIS or Apache just to use MoinMoin locally, Python should be
able to handle this out of the box. A basic web server in Python is very
simple as the script referenced below shows.

The PythonCard webserver sample comes with a console_server.py script that
essentially works the same as the GUI front-end web server. The latest
version of the script is in cvs at the URL below. The script is different
from the one in release 0.6.8 because I added '.cgi' extension support to
the request handler to avoid having to change moin.cgi references in
MoinMoin. I'm using Windows 2000 and Python 2.2.1, but the script should
work without change on other systems.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pythoncard/PythonCardPrototyp
e/samples/webserver/

Any feedback or ideas would be appreciated. I would love to get MoinMoin
working as a CGI with a simple Python server!

ka
---
Kevin Altis
altis at semi-retired.com