[Moin-user] Re: hierarchy / categories

Scott Evans gse at antisleep.com
Mon Jul 29 12:20:04 EDT 2002

> On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 10:50, John Willemin wrote:
> > in an ideal world, something with a windows-explorer type layout would be
> > ideal for us - i.e. nested folders containing documents: Home > Developer
> > Documents > Code Standards, that sort of thing.  basically i'm looking for
> > some forced way of structuring the documents.
>
> I suspect you'll get a different answer from everyone who answers but
> basically what you want isn't a wiki

You think?

There's no reason that a wiki-style system *couldn't* be more hierarchial.
Wikis don't have to be total anarchy, do they?

What I would love to see is a wiki that combines the ease of editing and
linking with the hierarchy of a filesystem.  This means that files don't
float around in the ether, it means that duplicate files don't get
created, it means that organization falls out naturally, etc.  I can say
that in our environment (I work with John), this would be a *huge*
improvement.  Wiki has been great as an intranet tool but it's not
scaling well.  There's too much "reverse maintenance" that needs to
happen when you create/rename/etc files.

Your category idea isn't a bad one, and we'll talk about that here, but
it's not quite the way I think and it's not as "seamless" as I think the
above system would be (wherein you *have* to choose a hierarchial location
for a file when you create it, for instance).

--
 scott evans :: www.antisleep.com