[moin-devel] [moin-user] moinmoin 2.0 stable release

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Mar 1 16:12:48 EST 2022

On Tuesday, 1 March 2022 19:46:35 CET Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> Thanks for looking into this!
>
> I'm both one of the current wiki.debian.org admins and (due to that!)
> the current maintainer of the moin package in Debian. So...

[...]

> I've been hoping to migrate wiki.d.o to moin2, but a huge set of other
> tasks in Debian and elsewhere have kept me busy. -ENOTIME. :-(

That's probably the story for most of us, but thanks for following up and for
the encouragement!

[...]

> If you can work on the packaging needed, I'm more than happy to help
> with reviews etc. to get things packaged and included into
> Debian. It'll make my life much easier! Hell, if you're very keen to
> help then we can possibly even work on Debian membership for you
> here... :-)

Currently, my efforts are posted to the repositories I mentioned earlier:

https://hg.boddie.org.uk/Moin/

These are just the debian directory in each case dropped into a repository,
since I know that this is (or was) the way it should be done. All I've done is
to look how some other packages were made and then done things in a very
similar way.

There are definitely things that would need improving. Firstly, I don't build
the documentation, where any would actually be built: I went for the absolute
easiest, laziest approach, instead of confusing things with the likes of
Sphinx.

Also, tests may not be handled completely correctly, so where setuptools (or
one of its tentacles) decides to run tests after building, I had to put
various test-related packages into the "Build-Depends" manifest:

https://hg.boddie.org.uk/Moin/flatland/file/7fb29f9b553d/debian/control

I also patched the setup.py file for that package as well, because being
setuptools it wanted to go off onto the Internet all by itself, and Debian
sensibly forbids that when building packages:

https://hg.boddie.org.uk/Moin/flatland/file/7fb29f9b553d/debian/patches/000-setup-setuptools-scm

Fortunately, that is for a package that can be installed in the "Build-
Depends".

What I probably should try and do is to build the Moin package itself,
supplying these newly built packages. Once upon a time, I used pdebuild/
pbuilder and there was a recipe for populating the chroot with new packages
unavailable in Debian repositories. If I can figure out the same thing with
sbuild/schroot, then we might be in business.

What avenues should we use for package reviews? I previously used the Debian
Mentors service, but anything remotely accessible would be acceptable.

Thanks once again for following up!

Paul