[Moin-devel] Page Storage

kent sin kentsin at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 14:58:10 EST 2005

Dear Developers:

If the page storage structure will be changed, I would
like to suggest the following:

Keep all pages under one directory, the supporting
index and revisions in another.

The reason is:

1. It easy the backup process. Exporting a wiki can be
a simpler task.

2. Search engine friend, It will be easier to
configure a local search engine to index and search a
single directory instead of the current structure.

3. It will be easier to migrate one wiki to other. Or
even merge two wikis into one. It is easier to restore
and re-build after some failure.

4. You will have a fallback plan to serve just static
wikitexts when needed. Just config your webserver to
serve the directory contain the pages.

I dont known about efficiency of this scheme. But I
think the operation of export, emerge, backup, search
operation will be much simplifier. Also, a normal user
will be quite easily find his way to the wiki text. An
advance user will find his way to the support
structure anyway.

By providing a stable API to basic storage application
will be a very good way.

I think forcing everyone to use xmlrpc is not good.

1. It load the system.

2. xmlrpc is not always supported.

For example, in case of a havily load system
(slashdoted?), one might decide that making the site
as static site temporarly. But when you want to do
that, xmlrpc just not as stable as you wish.

BTW, I would like to learn more about the wiki xmlrpc
v2. Would you please give me some pointer or examples.

Thanks a lot.

Best Rgs,

Kent Sin