[Moin-devel] Installing MoinMoin without access to apache config/ssh/telnet

Tobias Vogt vogt.tobias at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 05:06:38 EST 2005

Hi there,

I just installed MoinMoin 1.3.3 on my ISPs machine with ftp-only.
Roughly I did the following:

0) I downloaded and unpacked the distribution
strictly speaking, no setup was required (although I work with a local
installation to hack)
1) I transfered htdocs into my remote directory
2) I transfered MoinMoin into my remote directory (protecting it via
.htaccess deny from all)
3) I transfered data into my remote directory (.htaccess protected)
4) I transfered underlay into my remote directory (.htaccess protected)
5) I created a config directory and transfered the properly adjusted
wikiconfig.py into it (.htaccess protected)
6) I renamed moin.cgi to moin.py and transfered it to the remote directory.

As far as I can tell anything works fine. Now I have three questions:

a) Is this setup known to be save or are there any security drawbacks?
b) Is it desirable to have installation instructions for this kind of
setup included in the HelpFiles? I could write one page or so.
c) Would it not be fine to have a special package of files and an
install wizard to do this kind of setup? I could go and write a quick
and dirty install script.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Best

Tobias