[Moin-devel] Page Permissions

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Fri Jan 31 04:04:03 EST 2003

Hi Magnus,

> You can obviously change this to be more elaborate. Go back and copy
> your text. Paste it into your favourite editor. Click on the 3D glasses
> to see what was changed by the other party. Figure out what to do now.

And if it is too much for you: kill yourself ;)

> I realize what you say, warn already when the editing starts, but that
> has several disadvantages. Obviously the number of "start edit" events
> can be bigger than the number of "saves". People start editing but change
> their mind, get lost in surfing, or just open the page to see how you
> construct a table of contents or whatever.

Indeed! I would pledge for a action=raw (maybe instead of action=xml). I
use edit very often just to see source code (and being lazy, I often
don't want to manually type "?action=raw" into the URL line).

So I think this action=raw icon (calling it RAW or SRC or ...?) would
really help with that

I personally did never make any use ot of this XML icon. If others also
rarely use it, it maybe should be replaced by this "show page source icon".

After a while I think these "edits to see source" would get much less.

> In these cases you will warn
> people for no reason. Also, if you start edit, and then I start editing,
> finish before you and try to save, you will either have a hard lock that
> prevents me from saving,

Personally I don't want hard locks. They might do more harm than make
things better.

> completely disabling parallel work, or I will
> be able to give you a surprise when you try to save...and we will be back
> at todays situation.

Yes. But you have been warned.

And you being a nice guy, you will not impose much work on other people
merging their stuff if you don't feel really necessary.

> Perhaps the trick is to teach people how to merge.
> Perhaps there should be a merge tool?

Yes, but that is not an alternative, but an additional thing.

> Also, teach people to do many small changes rather
> than few big ones, even if the page might be in a state
> they don't like for a minute or three.

"Backup often" (wiki: save often) is a good idea anyway.
Some browsers and also some so-called operating systems tend to crash.
Connections get terminated, etc...

greetings, Thomas