[Moin-devel] Page Permissions

Nick Trout ntrout at rockstarvancouver.com
Wed Jan 29 12:24:07 EST 2003

One file for each page would probably be easier. Where would be a good
place to put these files? Should I create a new directory called, say,
data/editlocks?

> > It then occurred to me that I could to the edit locking
> through the Security
> > Permissions in  the site config. I could override the edit
> check and lock a
> > page when this first called, then unlock it when it is
> saved. Unfortunately
> > I cant tell the difference between an edit query on
> beginning editing a
> > page, a preview and a save.
>
> You will have to modify PageEditor.send_editor and
> PageEditor.save_page.
> All information metioned above is available in this method. I
> would not use
> file permissions to block the page, but read the lock file in
> PageEditor.send_editor. You may want to use
> request.form['datestamp'].value which is the timestamp of the
> file that
> was send for editing.

This is what I have done so far. I wanted to know if there was a way of
doing this without altering the Moin code base. Having a personalised
site permissions would allow you to lock certain pages to certain users
without altering the Moin code. However you can only stop editing, not
manage editing, with the current set up. I will look into simplifying my
implementation to using individual lock files.

Thanks for the request.form['datestamp'].value information.

> > Has anyone else implemented this functionality? It could be
> extended to set
> > permissions on individual pages eg. to set unreadable to
> certain people, or
> > a certain times etc. Moin is an excellent wiki but people
> are complaining to
> > me about losing their changes and don't want to do merging!
> I'd like to do
> > this properly and perhaps I could feed it back to be integrated?
>
> I doubt this is a feature many people will want to have in
> MoinMoin.

It would be nice if it were optional. I'm sure not everyone uses all of
the features of  MoinMoin.

> Perhaps it is more worth to put some work in collision resolving.

How would you suggest doing this?

Nick