[Moin-devel] Re: [Moin-user] 0.11 and IIS

Brian Dorsey brian at dorseys.org
Thu Mar 7 10:55:29 EST 2002

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 12:06:43PM +0100, Juergen Hermann wrote:
> >> One other thing.  While this installation works I'm personally not crazy
> >> about the dir layout.  I don't like the idea of mixing the wiki pages data
> >> inside the moin package folder.  I can't give you any specific reasons at
> >> the moment but it doesn't feel right; perhaps user data should be outside
> of
> >> the python path.  I wonder if there are issues here in the case of an
> >> upgrade.  I also am not crazy about the idea of having to require two
> >> virtual directories for one web app.  I know that this is required thought
> >> due to the way the paths are used within the moinmoin code.
> >I copied the Apache install docs in this regard... it's not actually how I
> have my own wikis setup... I think the idea is that this makes it easy to add
> multiple wikis on the same server and they can all share the same /wiki data.
>
> There are no practical problems with this since no directories beyond those
> that get currently created will ever be added by setup.py (there is no
> conflict). The idea was to keep things as simple and cohesive as possible, and
> let people that want to deviate do it on their own risk. E.g. it's of course
> no problem at all to place instances ANYWHERE, but I absolutely want to keep
> the docs option-free, so as not to confuze beginners. Experts can help
> themselves.

This makes perfect sense to me. I really like the idea of once simeple way to set things up with no options to start. Does that mean if I've muddled through and gotten things working, I'm an expert? :)

> BTW, it's one alias for the app, and one for the instance. Does IIS have an
> equivalent to Apache ScriptAlias? You do not need to alias the whole instance
> directory, in theory.
>
> >I'll add a note about WinZip, just in case. ;)
>
> I might create a windows installer, but those are, AFAIK, no very customizable
> (else I could create an instance automatically).
>
> Super-easy setup for a personal wiki and non-power users have to wait till the
> stand-alone server runs in an acceptable way.

I'd agree here... rather than spending the time getting a windows installer setup, I'd rather see a stand-alone python only server. Should be fairly straight-forward... do you have plans on how you'd like to implement it?

Take care,
-Brian