[Mobile-sig] Competitors - Kotlin

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Wed Jun 7 08:56:37 EDT 2017

On Wednesday 7. June 2017, Dima Tisnek wrote:
> Just wanted to weigh in here.
>
> There's a bunch of JVM languages out there, Java 1.6, 1.7, 8, Clojure,
> Groovy, Scala, Ceylon, and now there is Kotlin too. They introduce new
> syntax, add a run time library, and ultimately target same run time
> and assume/allow for reusing other Java code. Kotlin is neither novel
> nor amazing. It will win over it's share of developers, but it's not
> nearly as radical as Swift in obj-c world.

Thinking about newer languages from the main players, I wondered if there
was a way to write applications in Dart on Android, and it seems that Flutter
is the thing to look at:

https://flutter.io/

> There was Jython (evaluated Python bytecode "in Java" at runtime) and
> now there's VOC (translates Python bytecode to Java bytecode).

I think VOC is doing source code to Java bytecode now. Russell will correct
one of us, I'm sure. ;-)

David