[Mobile-sig] python on android

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Thu Jan 29 08:36:24 CET 2015

Russell Keith-Magee <russell at keith-magee.com> wrote:

> If I want to distribute an app for OS/X or Windows, I give you an
> executable, and It Just Works (tm). Source *might* be provided as an option
> in the interest of being open source, but it's not how you distribute
> anything in practice. The "Linux way" for distribution is to distribute
> source, and tell you to compile it yourself.

Ah, I see what you mean.  As an old open-source guy, I compile
everything from source everywhere, so I guess I fall into this Linux
camp, too.  And, in practice, this Just Works thing isn't all it's
cracked up to be.

The Kivy folks do provide a binary VirtualBox image, which has
everything installed correctly.  Though the buildozer process *still*
compiles everything from source, sigh.

Bill