[Mobile-sig] Yet Python 3 build for Android & possible solution for GUI apps

Martin Kolman martin.kolman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 19:44:08 CET 2015

As we appear to be in the phase of "hunting for working Python 3 Android
build", this is what I have been using:

https://github.com/thp/python3-android/tree/fixes

As far as I can tell it works fine once built with the Android NDK for
armv7 Android, just a few modules are missing
for some reason: csv, statvfs and sqlite

BTW, as for actually using Python 3 for developing (and distributing!)
GUI applications for Android, there is a solution
that uses the above mentioned Python 3 build, Qt 5 and PyOtherSide
(asynchronous Python to Qt Quick bindings) to create
standalone Android APKs.

A comprehensive guide how to do this is available:
https://github.com/thp/pyotherside/blob/master/docs/index.rst#building-for-android

Or for a short summary, you can check out the slides from my yesterdays
lightning talk: :-)
https://m4rtink.fedorapeople.org/devconf2015/python_android_lightning_talk.pdf

To see how the resulting application looks like on an Android device,
you can try:
* the gPodder podcast player
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gpodder.android
* the modRana flexible navigation system
https://m4rtink.fedorapeople.org/devconf2015/modrana-latest.apk

Best Wishes
Martin Kolman