[Mobile-sig] openembedded-core Python 3 patches

Russell Keith-Magee russell at keith-magee.com
Wed Feb 4 00:50:36 CET 2015

Hi David,

I hadn't seen that site before.

A deeper inspection might reveal some useful bits that can be used, but my
first impression is that they've applied a bunch of patches that solves
some immediate problem they have, rather than trying to produce patches
that are suitable for upstreaming.

>From my cursory analysis revealed:

 * The patches look like they're against Python 3.3, so best case, there's
some additional porting required

 * They're destructive patches - i.e., if a section of a makefile doesn't
work for embedded, the patch deletes that section, rather than introducing
a conditional.

 * They do some odd things for their own compatibility - e.g., forcing
sys.platform to return linux2.

There might be some useful material in there if you go digging, but my gut
tells me that we'll get more traction with some of the other build patches
that are already out there (such as Kivy's set, or the instructions at
http://randomsplat.com/id5-cross-compiling-python-for-embedded-linux.html)

Yours
Russ Magee %-)