[Microbit-Python] micro:bit Mu/MicroPython questions

Matthew Jadud mjadud at bates.edu
Tue Dec 19 14:42:04 EST 2017

[TOPQUOTE]
My background is as a senior (classically trained music) teacher working
with teenagers in inner city schools. I also have an MA in Philosophy of
Education from London University's Institute of Education
(https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ioe/about), so *I MOST CERTAINLY WANT TO SPEND
TIME DEBATING* philosophy and approaches with you. ;-)
[/TOPQUOTE]

Hi Nick,

Apologies for the delay. We got into the work of the term, and this thread
dropped.

After working with the Micro:Bit for a term in an introductory
programming/design thinking course, I made some strategic decisions for
next term.

I switched the hardware for next term to the Circuit Python Express. This
is primarily because I can use any editor, and save (via normal filesystem
operations, as opposed to through uflash) a "main.py" onto the CPE and it
will "just work." And, I can have students drag-and-drop libraries of code
(including my own) onto the same flash. This is *critical*. And, further,
it seems to have a more up-to-date MicroPython; discovering, at the end of
the term, that the version of MP that ships with Mu is too old to enable
pullup resistors was a major setback. (Or, if you prefer, I discovered that
none of my students could use the Sparkfun game:pads we had purchased,
because they require us to pull the internal resistors high so as to detect
button presses. I had assumed, as opposed to tested, that this would be
possible using MicroPython on the Micro:Bit, and discovered that there was
not feature parity between MakeCode and MP on this front. Shame on me, and
to the detriment of the students.)

It isn't clear what development process the MP/Mu group follow. There's no
on-boarding documentation/process, so I'm hesitant to try and dive in and
contribute development effort. But, it would probably be some HAL- or
DAL-level work to get (say) the USB-mounted behavior to be equivalent
between the two platforms. At least, I assume so: I've not investigated.
And, I have no idea what is involved in updating the Python that ships with
Mu, nor how releases are managed/etc., so again, I'm hesitant to dive in.

Anyway, I'm happy to share the lived experience of having used the M:Bs for
an environmental sensing project, and then the kinds of work students did
in their final projects. Next term we'll try living with the CPEs, and see
how that goes. I can put together some blog-type content (on a blog,
even)  in terms of successes/challenges if it would benefit you/the
community.

(Basically, I'm working through the inbox, and replying to messages that
lingered.)

Have an excellent holiday season and new year,
Matt