[Microbit-Python] micro bit pin drive current

David Whale david at thinkingbinaries.com
Thu Sep 1 06:19:35 EDT 2016

That is true, but unfortunately it is only part of the story.

It's not the pin drive current that could be the problem, it's the
opportunity for an inductive load (a speaker) to cause back-emf that is
above the specified pin voltage of the GPIO pins. Although I haven't done
the maths or looked at a scope trace to see how high in voltage the
back-emf peaks are at given frequencies, it might still be ok in practice
without any coupling or protection given the range of frequencies in use..

However, I spoke to Nicholas Tolervy about this resource, and he uses a
powered speaker such as this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039YP37E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

connected with one of these:

https://sciencescope.uk/product/bbc-microbit-sound-cable-2/

I also use one of these...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/kitsound-pocketboom-portable-bluetooth-speaker-green-n54dc

Which, incidently, has a nice bass response that works really well with
this fab Python resource!!

https://www.microbit.co.uk/musicfest/that-bass

It's very loud with some powered speakers, in my experience, so in some
environments you should consider a volume control of some sort!

Hope this helps.

David.

David Whale, B.Sc (Hons), MIET
*Software Engineer and IET Schools Liaison Officer, Essex*