[Microbit-Python] Traceability from REPL to github source

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 23:25:59 EDT 2016

The key is in the version number: v1.7-9-gbe020eb Take the last
portion gbe020eb
and drop the leading g. This is supposed to be the hash in github used to
build this version of MicroPython.

I checked: https://github.com/bbcmicrobit/micropython and couldn't find
that hash (be020eb), but I did find:
https://github.com/bbcmicrobit/micropython/blob/a20fbe82c919cea9519ce5a1140103f518b51caa/inc/genhdr/mpversion.h
which refers to that hash.

So it probably refers to a hash from some other repository. dpgeorge can
probably identity which repository the hash corresponds to.

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 1:30 PM, David Whale <david at thinkingbinaries.com>
wrote:

> Does anyone know how I can, given an arbitrary micro:bit that is running
> MicroPython, trace this back to the specific github version of source that
> was used to build it?
>
> e.g. when I start my micro:bit I see this at the REPL. How would I turn
> this into a githash that identifies the precise source code that was used
> to build the interpreter and libraries for that specific running instance
> that I have in front of me?
>
> MicroPython v1.7-9-gbe020eb on 2016-04-18; micro:bit with nRF51822
>
> Type "help()" for more information.
>

> Thanks
>

> David

Dave Hylands