[Microbit-Python] Can the micro:bit display text on the Adafruit OLED display?

Nevil Hunt nevil.hunt at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 04:04:57 EST 2016

Hi,

Thanks to help from Phillip at Adafruit I have the Adafruit 128x32 I2C OLED display (www.adafruit.com/product/931<http://www.adafruit.com/product/931>) working with the micro:bit using their Micro Python driver (https://github.com/adafruit?query=micropython) see attached photo. However I am limited to just generating patterns but I would like to generate text!

Adafruit's view on this is that generating text could be difficult

    a) because there is limited available RAM on the micro:bit, and

    b) because they don't have access to the micro:bit's internal font.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

e.g. Can Python get access to the internal font?

If so, how could this font be used to generate characters on the OLED display without running out of RAM?

Cheers,

Nevil