[Microbit-Python] URGENT - how do I remove adverts from our ReadTheDocs?

Russell Keith-Magee russell at keith-magee.com
Fri Mar 11 05:07:23 EST 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Nicholas H.Tollervey <ntoll at ntoll.org>
wrote:

> On 11/03/16 08:59, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > I think a first step in the right direction would probably be to
> > use a neutral URL which then redirects to whatever URL you use
> > for hosting the documentation.
> >
> > Regarding the ads on read-the-docs: do you think the PSF could help
> > getting those removed by sending them a grant ?
> >

> +1
>
> I can't see RTD turning down money. As far as I can tell it's run by a
> couple of folks on a shoe-string.

Yes, it is, despite the fact that it’s one of the most used resources in
the Python (and wider) software development community. Eric Holscher (RTD’s
founder) has been trying to find ways to support it commercially, but
without a whole lot of success.

If there’s a situation here where BBC requirements specify that advertising
isn’t acceptable, and they have money to support that position, he’s got a
commercial version of the service (called, predictably, readthedocs.com).

If you need specific commercial terms or other arrangements, I have no
doubt Eric would be up for that. Eric’s a very reasonable person, and he’s
a great friend of the Python community and open source generally. If you
need a personal introduction, let me know.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)