[Microbit-Python] Pointers on connecting microBit to the outside world

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Mon Feb 22 07:14:45 EST 2016

On 22/02/16 08:29, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> On 22.02.2016 08:05, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I feel like a bit of a dunce asking this, but can anyone point me in the
>> right direction on using the micro:bit’s Bluetooth functionality?
>>
>> I’ve been trying to make my micro:bit an IoT sensor. My end goal is to
>> convert a shake of the micro:bit into a hit on a web service.
>>
>> Doing the sensor part was trivial with microPython; but I can’t work out
>> how to make the hop to the outside world.
>>
>> I assumed that the micro:bit would be identified as a BLE device, and could
>> be paired with my laptop. However, I can’t find any way to identify the
>> micro:bit as a Bluetooth device on my Mac (which supports BLE). I’m
>> guessing there is something that needs to be enabled at an API level, but
>> it isn’t clear to me what that would be.
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction here?
>
> AFAIK, bluetooth is not supported with MicroPython, the reason
> being that the bluetooth stack alone consumes 12kB of RAM,
> leaving only 4kB for MicroPython.

Yes, that. The "retail" boards (i.e. the ones you'll get via mail-order
rather than the ones given to the kids in school) will apparently have
32k RAM which will mitigate the space problem.

I guess we should mention in the docs that BLE isn't supported (yet).
Any suggestions for where this notice should go would be most appreciated.

N.