[Microbit-Python] Hello from Sunnyvale, CA!

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Feb 19 16:27:32 EST 2016

On 19.02.2016 22:13, Nicholas H.Tollervey wrote:
> Hi Marc Andre,
>
> On 19/02/16 20:55, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Pretty impressive list of lessons !
>>

> Thank you!
>
>> The only nit I could find is the use of "from micropython import *".
>> Wouldn't it be better to teach kids to use e.g.
>>
>> # First get the goodies you need for your program:
>> from micropython import display, Image
>
> Hah. You wouldn't believe the deliberation that went into this style of
> import. :-)
>
> Put simply, while I agree explicit import is "the correct thing to do"
> in terms of "real" Python, we found that both kids and teachers were
> getting hung up with remembering to import the right sort of thing. Far
> better to encourage them to just import everything (it has no additional
> memory overhead) and not have to worry about things. We can show them
> the right way once their feeling more confident in their programming skills.
>
> Does this make sense?

Yes, but I don't quite agree :-)

If you want to work with some tools, you normally don't just
throw them all on the table and then pick the ones you need.
You go look for the hammer, the nails, the screw driver
in your box and only pick the ones you need.

Younger kids tend to use the first approach, but when they
get to elementary schools they switch to the second more
specific approach - well, at least my two kids did.

Also note that you are using the proper "import music" and
"import random" for all the other tools in the lessons,
so there's a bit of mix in styles.

Anyway, just a comment.

BTW: Are there any plans to create a micropython module
version which allows simulations on a regular Python
installation ? I think this would make working with MicroPython
and the MB a lot easier - you'd develop on the desktop
and then deploy to the MB.

I've seen some videos where the Microsoft environment
does provide a simulator along those lines (but not when
using Python).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Feb 19 2016)
2016-02-19: Released eGenix PyRun 2.1.2 ...       http://egenix.com/go88

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/