[Microbit-Python] My visit to the BBC today

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Fri Sep 25 10:19:44 CEST 2015

Hi,

Comments in-line...

On 24/09/15 23:33, David Whale wrote:
> Just some random thoughts....
>
> Background music would be awesome (in the same way that Damien has
> surfaced background animations).

+1

> I reckon if you could find a way to use the internal fibre scheduling
> safely, you could have 3 channels running, one on each pin, and
> "externally mix them" with resistors or capacitors into a single
> speaker. This would give you 3 channel sound just like the original
> AY-3-8910 chip on the BBC Micro!!! My ultimate test here would be to
> play "Eurythmics: Sweet dreams are made of this" and "Stranglers:Golden
> Brown" in the same arrangements as the original ones done on the BBC
> micro!!!

Hahahaha... you had those programs too..? Did you also have the Bach
Toccata and Fugue (another piece of musical programming amazement)..?

> The other thing that would be cool is an external tool that converts a
> MIDI file into the python data structures that plays that same music.
> That would then be a really easy way to bring in other pieces, as there
> are plenty of MIDI editors and sources of MIDI on the internet.

MIDI is a very simple standard. IIRC it's just channels (giving you
instruments) along with numbers representing pitches and an offset so
stuff gets played at the correct time.

> Envelopes - the AY-3-8910 on the beeb had ADSR envelopes. You loaded 4
> numbers into registers and it did the attack, delay, sustain and release
> for you automatically, and this made it possible to do really nice
> phrasing and expression.

I remember those. Combined with the "noise" channel (0) you could get
some interesting effects.

> The touch sensing works great now - how about something akin to the new
> PiPiano that Pimoroni made for the Pi based on Zachs original Pi Piano???
>
> All of these are a *bit* 1980's demo (Nicholas will understand that quote!)

Nothing wrong with the 1980s (well, the good bits of the 1980s)... ;-)

> There is a really awesome opportunity to implement MIDI or OSC support
> for linking to external devices and using the MicroBit as the
> programmable sequencer or controller for them. Python support for either
> in some way would be a "game changer" (not my words, someone else's
> words!) - think micro:bit gestures controlling an external soft MIDI
> synth on a bigger computer. Think linking that to DMX lighting and
> controlling the school stage lights with it too in sync with the music -
> the micro:bit as a performance device!

EXACTLY! That's where I'm going with this...

> Just random ideas. Shoot them down.

Far better to make them fly! ;-)

N.