[Microbit-Python] My visit to the BBC today

David Whale david at thinkingbinaries.com
Fri Sep 25 00:33:26 CEST 2015

Just some random thoughts....

Background music would be awesome (in the same way that Damien has surfaced
background animations).

I reckon if you could find a way to use the internal fibre scheduling
safely, you could have 3 channels running, one on each pin, and "externally
mix them" with resistors or capacitors into a single speaker. This would
give you 3 channel sound just like the original AY-3-8910 chip on the BBC
Micro!!! My ultimate test here would be to play "Eurythmics: Sweet dreams
are made of this" and "Stranglers:Golden Brown" in the same arrangements as
the original ones done on the BBC micro!!!

The other thing that would be cool is an external tool that converts a MIDI
file into the python data structures that plays that same music. That would
then be a really easy way to bring in other pieces, as there are plenty of
MIDI editors and sources of MIDI on the internet.

Envelopes - the AY-3-8910 on the beeb had ADSR envelopes. You loaded 4
numbers into registers and it did the attack, delay, sustain and release
for you automatically, and this made it possible to do really nice phrasing
and expression.

The touch sensing works great now - how about something akin to the new
PiPiano that Pimoroni made for the Pi based on Zachs original Pi Piano???

All of these are a *bit* 1980's demo (Nicholas will understand that quote!)

There is a really awesome opportunity to implement MIDI or OSC support for
linking to external devices and using the MicroBit as the programmable
sequencer or controller for them. Python support for either in some way
would be a "game changer" (not my words, someone else's words!) - think
micro:bit gestures controlling an external soft MIDI synth on a bigger
computer. Think linking that to DMX lighting and controlling the school
stage lights with it too in sync with the music - the micro:bit as a
performance device!

Just random ideas. Shoot them down.

David Whale, B.Sc (Hons), MIET
*Software Engineer and IET Schools Liaison Officer, Essex*

email:  dwhale at theiet.org
twitter: @whaleygeek
blog:  blog.whaleygeek.co.uk

Co-author of the new book "Adventures in Minecraft" <http://amzn.to/ZGfxZG>