[Microbit-Python] JOE / DAMIEN - REQUIRES ACTION Re: Is there a publicly available Asm/C/C++ API yet?

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Tue Sep 1 09:27:18 CEST 2015

On 29/08/15 20:23, Mark Shannon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If we are to design a nice Pythonic API on top of the underlying
> low-level API it would help to know what that API is.
>
> Does one exist yet, ideally on Github or a similar open website?

TL;DR - Joe and Damien, can you please add Mark Shannon (markshannon) to
the repos referenced below.

Mark,

OK... so the DAL has a private repos. I've cc'd Joe F. from Lancaster
Uni who has been leading this work. When the device is delivered to
schools this code will be open sourced.

Damien has a special MicroPython-microbit repos hosting the, er,
microbit version of MicroPython (what else?). The instructions for
compiling the project etc... are in the README therein.

It is the DAL that exposes a C++ API upon which MicroPython will build
its "microbit" module. This evening, on the train home from London, I
intend listing/documenting its capabilities and posting them onto this
list for all to see.

> Did I missed an announcement or is it still not public yet?
>
> Googling and searching github gives me nothing useful.

We're still very much covered by the NDA. Remember, this is more for
media management purposes. Everything is "open sourced" when the devices
are delivered to schools.

Happy to answer questions..! But I suspect things become clearer when
you see the code.

If anyone else wants access, please shout - you've all signed the NDA so
there shouldn't be a problem and we need all the help we can get..!

N.