[Microbit-Python] Accessor API design on the micro:bit

Carol Willing willingc at willingconsulting.com
Sat Oct 31 16:08:09 EDT 2015

While I am joining this discussion after a couple of months of history,
I am going to step back for a moment and ask a simple question:

Does this have to be a decision between x, x(), get_x()?

For the accelerometer (not necessarily all other functionality, but
since the accelerometer is built into the chip and accessible without
soldering anything, it will be used by many), could we support all three?

If I was an 11 year old with access to Google, I could find resources
appropriate for an 11 year old that use all three of these approaches:
Young Coders workshop, Adafruit/Sparkfun, MicroPython tutorials, Python
for Kids book, and others.

If I didn't have access to Google, I, as a student, would use `help` or
example programs to model what I would choose. It's critical for the
educational setting for the approach to be consistent within an example
program. While in a perfect world that might imply consistent across all
example programs.

Yet, we know that there are several approaches to programming that lend
the same result but with differing implementations.

It seems to me if there is space to support all three for the
accelerometer that would make reasonable sense. We can tailor the help
message to guide to the desired approach; yet, all three will work for
the student whether they are using a recommended approach or something
that they googled.

Based on my experience teaching a wide spectrum of children, I do think
with gentle instruction all levels will be able to use the accelerometer.

Warmly,
Carol

--
*Carol Willing*