[Microbit-Python] Gestures in the DAL or not..?

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Wed Oct 14 09:57:58 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to recollect what the final status of this aspect of the
micro:bit was. IIRC it's going to be in the DAL but I've not seen any
evidence that it's coming sometime soon.

It'd be good to have a gestures module a la:

>>> import gestures
>>> dir(gestures)
[ 'shaken', 'dropped', 'tapped', ...etc...]
>>> gestures.shaken()
False

etc...

It strikes me that these are related, in some way, to Larry's
acceleration_scaler work in that such gestures would consist of
measurements made using something like the acceleration_scaler.

Also, given such gestures perhaps we need a gesture_minder thingamabob
that kids could use to track the state of such gestures and react
appropriately (for example, a game where you reset the state by shaking
the device).

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?

N.