[Microbit-Python] Current state of play - a summary and straw man

Damien George damien.p.george at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 14:01:58 CEST 2015

and I just checked that it supports 31250 baud, 8n1.  So it would be
pretty trivial to write MIDI in and out code directly in Python right
now.  Eg:

from microbit import *
uart.init(31250, pins=(pin0, pin1)) # setup uart, tx=pin0, rx=pin1
uart.write(b'\x90\x10\x25') # note on
cmd = uart.read(3) # read whole command

A caveat: there is only 1 uart on the nrf51 and so configuring it to
go to pins 0 and 1 (tx,rx respectively) disables the REPL.

I don't have any midi devices so someone else will need to pick up the
ball on this if it is to proceed further.

Regarding MIDI USB: we would need help from ARM to do that, since they
'd have to write the code for the freescale host chip.