[Microbit-Python] Accessor API design on the micro:bit

Carol Willing willingc at willingconsulting.com
Sun Nov 1 10:16:26 EST 2015

On 11/1/15 5:39 AM, Michael wrote:

> Having read everything you've said (and agreeing with a lot of it), I
> think you're coming at this from the perspective of "this person/child
> is motivated to do this". I'm coming at it from the perspective of
> someone who doesn't yet know they could enjoy this, and has simply had
> this set as homework for the weekend initially, and there's two
> outcomes (out of many) that spring to mind. The one that goes home and
> finds "this is easier than I expected" and *plays* all weekend with
> it, and the one that goes home and finds it really difficult all
> weekend for reasons none of us expected or predicted, and spends all
> weekend fighting it and comes in demoralised. The former is full of
> win, the latter isn't. And to be clear, I fully expect that both ends
> of the spectrum will exist if you're going to everyone in an age group.

Hi Michael,

I loved your response. Let me add a little perspective on my personal
philosophy and why I asked the question if all 3 approaches for the
accelerometer (only) could be implemented.

I have spent the better part of the last 25 years doing outreach with
students of all ages - all skill levels, all motivation levels, and
across many different demographic axes. I understand what it is like to
work with "at risk" youth, children that have come from abusive living
environments, children that are not engaged, children that have been
told "they can't". For those children, it's a delicate dance between
building trust, offering choice, providing structure through firm (but
still gentle) boundaries.

I have worked with preteen and teen girls that have been told they can't
because they are not good in math, science, or whatever. I spend time
with them creating possibilities to bridge their interests to the real
world impacts of tech. Sometimes it's cracking open the door to
possibilities, sometimes it is reopening a door that has been slammed
shut many times.

I have also worked with children with autism and aspergers. I have been
blessed to see what they create, their pride, and their struggles
through sensory overstimulation and frustration.

Flexibility and including all children are my two motivating factors.

Honestly, I will make do with whatever materials that I have. I'm just
trying to broaden the discussion from the binary or "either-or" thinking
that comes naturally to many of us in the software/engineering world and
tap into the creativity and many options that we use to prototype and
iterate :D

Warmly,
Carol
"Humble" door opener