[Microbit-Python] Status update...

Michael sparks.m at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 13:47:01 CEST 2015

For info, nuitka -- a python to C++ compiler -- seems pretty mature and
useful for lots of things, BUT offloads the bulk of its work to libpython,
which means the binaries simply won't work in an embedded environment (fine
for anywhere else though). Also, far far too large to fit on any teeny
device.

That said, it's pretty neat. I've tried it with a few things, and it's
handled things I've thrown at it (like a threaded-actor based qt video
video player).

I've not seen the large improvements in runtime that are claimed though -
probably trying the wrong sort of code. (if you did it'd be interesting as
an optimisation tool) That could be due to the startup/shutdown process
though, a filewatching/batch mode thing *might* get significant
improvements.

Only mention really because it could crop up as an option, and while it's
not suitable for targetting micro-controllers it might be useful...

Michael.