[Microbit-Python] Please add these users to the Microbit repos on GitHub *before* Sunday.

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Thu Jul 2 16:27:54 CEST 2015

On 02/07/15 14:20, Howard Baker-IF&L wrote:
> Hi Nicholas, Mark may have got back to you already but we are giving
> everybody access to the mBed repos instead -- it is way more correct
> and up-to-date and doesn't suffer from some of the sensitivity
> issues.
>
> Howard

Hi Howard,

I'm looking for the website source code. I.e. what's running on
microbit.co.uk. The GH repos appears to have some sort of approximation
of that whereas mbed does not. My aim is simple - to have a locally
running dev environment so we can test/check our work and learn about
the wider system so we understand how best to interact with it.

This Sunday is all about the feasibility of a Python-ish editor embedded
in the microbit.co.uk website - as we've discussed on several occasions.
For us to even be able to have a fighting chance of pulling this off, we
obviously need access to the code for the website to see how it works
and check that anything we produce "fits". The public TouchDevelop
repository on GitHub is also going to be very useful - especially if we
go down the route of emitting the TD AST from the Python editor.

I've taken a look around the mbed project I've been given access to and
this contains lots of C++ related repositories and, unless I'm missing
something, nothing to do with the website itself.

However, the GitHub repos has instructions such as this:

https://github.com/bbc/microbit-extras/blob/master/systems/buildingTouchDevelop.md

We were going to start here on Sunday along with the instructions in the
file externaleditor.md in the same folder.

As far as I can tell mbed doesn't have what we currently need for Sunday.

Unless, of course, I'm missing something completely obvious. Pointers
and suggestions most welcome!

Actually, Jonny just emailed me about the mbed platform. Website things
are not in there. He's introducing me to the Microsofties.

N.