[Microbit-Python] Starting up with the Microbit

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Dec 29 07:22:12 EST 2015

Hello everyone,

I received a microbit from Angus just before Christmas and
would like to start playing with it this week:

http://microworldtour.github.io/microbit/monifa.html

Unfortunately, I'm a bit lost how to start, since the information
about basic things like how to connect and power up the device
seems to be well hidden somewhere on the net ;-)

The board has pins saying "3V" and "GND" and there's
a battery connector on it as well (but without indication
of which pin is + and which is ground (*)). Would it be enough to
connect a power supply to the pins or do I need to
find a plug for the battery connector ?

Also: I've seen a serial console being used to drive the
REPL, but there don't appear to be serial con pins on the
device. Is the USB port used for this ? The README seems to
imply this ("Upon reset you will have a REPL on the USB CDC
serial port").

Lastly: For flashing the device, is it possible to mount
the flash drive using the USB port or do I need to send the
image over the serial port ?

Lots of question and I assume that most of these are FAQs :-)

I will probably drive to an electronics shop to get some
cables and perhaps a battery pack today.

(*) It may be useful to add some text to the board to
help kids and teachers with this.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Dec 29 2015)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/